Building & Energy Codes
Codes in Effect
Title 11 Building and Construction
2015 County Building Code was adopted September 6, 2016
Pitkin County has updated its building codes with the adoption of the 2015 International Building Codes, which went into effect on September 6, 2016. The newly adopted codes include the 2015 International Building Code, Residential Code, Plumbing Code, Mechanical Code and Fuel Gas Code.
Pitkin County as has a new Energy Code Ordinacne that was adopted April 22, 2020. It is in effect as of July 22, 2020 and is Title 11 Section 11.32 of the County Code. A new REMP calculator is also published on our website.
The following previously adopted codes remain in effect: The Efficient Building Code, 2015 Energy Conservation Code, the Lofgren Carbon Monoxide Ordinance, the Contractor Licensing Regulations and the 2014 National Electrical Code.
View the County Code in its entirety.
Contact the Building Department with questions about codes.
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Fuel & Gas Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
- Pitkin County Efficient Building Code
- Most Current National Electrical Code
- Alternative to Roof Ventilation (PDF)
- BEST Cardholder and Inspections (PDF)
- Building Final Procedure (PDF)
- Carbon Monoxide Ordinance (PDF)
- Change Order Policy (PDF)
- Equipment in Crawl Spaces and Attics (PDF)
- Expired Permit Reapplication (PDF)
- Fee Refund Policy (PDF)
- Fire Sprinkler Installation in Remodels and Additions (PDF)
- IRC Climatic and Geographic Design Criteria Chart
- Legitimizing Bandit Units (PDF)
- Manufactured Housing (PDF)
- Mechanical Access Policy (PDF)
- REMP Payment Policy
- REMP Calculation Sheet (XLS)
- Re-roof Policy (PDF)
- Siding Policy (PDF)
- Temporary Structures Policy (PDF)
- Window Well for Natural Light Policy (PDF)