Pitkin County is dedicated to maintaining the most correct address information for parcels and addressable structures. Incorrect physical addresses and improperly or unidentified structures not only result in delays by emergency services (fire, ambulance, law enforcement), they impede services provided by telephone, cable, gas, and electric providers, can add expense or delays in delivering packages, and may cause directional confusion for visitors to our community.
This page provides information and links for the public to help get you to the right place if you have questions or concerns about your PHYSICAL address, including how to verify, update or add a new physical address. We have authority over all addressing in unincorporated Pitkin County.
Aspen, Basalt (Pitkin County portions) and Snowmass Village have addressing authority within their boundaries. Check out Pitkin Maps & More, our online mapping portal to help with identifying the boundaries.
- For addressing within the City of Aspen, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For addressing within the Town of Basalt, please contact the Basalt Building Department.
- For addressing within the Town of Snowmass Village, please contact TOSV Community Development.
For addressing within Unincorporated Pitkin County, use the forms below.
Request an Address - Online or Printed Form
Use this form when there is no address assigned to a parcel and you are adding one or more structures to it. Or if there is an existing addresses and are building a new addressable strucutre. This form is also used when a new named roadway is required.
Use this form when an existing address needs to be updated. Reasons for updates include correcting the parity (odd or even), a sequential number when a new structure is added or a numbering was improperly assigned. This can also be needed when adding additional structures and a new road name is needed. This form is not to to be used for updating a mailing address. See the section above for the appropriate department quick link if updating a mailing address.
Use this form when a third party needs a formal verificaiton of your address. This form may also be required when making a home mail delivery change.
Address Signage is required for all addressable structures within Pitkin County. The primary reason to have the address posted on a building (and at the entrance to a driveway if the building is more than 50 feet from the road) is to help public safety to more easily find a location in the event of an emergency. Having the address posted also helps package carriers find a location.
If you would like more information about ordering or posting an address sign, click on the image below to access a helpful guide for ordering a "9-1-1 address sign."
Commonly Confused Addresses
Need to confirm municipality or unincorporated county? Address Services has compiled a list of frequently asked about addresses in our
Reference Documentation and Materials
Titled Address Standards (Address Ordinance)
Addressing is assigned using the current approved standards. Please see pages 12-23 ( 9:08: PITKIN COUNTY ADDRESS SYSTEM for the detailed text:
- The Property Owner shall be responsible for the cost of signage resulting from New Development. Pitkin County Road & Bridge will order and install any signage required at the junction of a County Road unless the Property Owner requests to install their own signage. The Property Owner shall be responsible for the installation of signage on a private roadway.
- The Property Owner shall be responsible for the cost and installation of signage at the junction of a private roadway. Pitkin County Road & Bridge will order (but will not install) standardized signage and hardware on behalf of any Property Owner at their request.
- Pitkin County shall be responsible for the cost of roadway signage related to the naming of a roadway due to the correction of non-conforming areas or addresses that pre-existed the Titled Address Standards.
- If Pitkin County initiates the re-naming of a roadway, Pitkin County shall be responsible for purchase and erection of the roadway sign.
Any questions related to Street Signage changes resulting from an Addressing Action or on private roadways should be directed to email@example.com.