Buying a Vehicle
Purchasing from a Colorado Dealer (Required documents)
With No Loan
Title documents are usually sent by certified mail to you by the dealer. Upon receipt of these documents, bring them into our office.
With a Loan
If you financed the vehicle the dealer will forward the title documents to the lender and the lender will then file them with our office. We will notify you by postcard when you can come into our office to register your vehicle.
- Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) or Title: Dealer will provide an MSO for a new vehicle or a title for a used vehicle that has been properly assigned to you.
- Sales Tax Receipt or Dealer Invoice: These documents provide proof of sales/use taxes paid. All taxes are required to be collected in full by the dealer, pursuant to CRS 39-26-113(1), CRS 39-26-208(1), and CRS 39-26-208(2). For additional information, access the sales tax document (PDF).
- Odometer Disclosure: A completed odometer disclosure is required when the vehicle is less than 10 years old. The disclosure must be signed by both the seller and the buyer. The dealership will provide the odometer disclosure documentation that must be on secure form.
- Application for Colorado Title (DR2395)
- Proof of Insurance: Colorado law requires that prior to registration or renewal proof of insurance is required. The buyer needs to bring in proof of insurance. For additional information go to the insurance resource.
Purchasing From an Individual (Required Documents)
- Title: All owners that appear on the front of the title must sign the title in the seller's section. The purchase price and date of sale must be on the title, and match the bill of sale. If a lien is shown on the title, the lien must released in the "release section" of the title. If there is a place for a notary, the title must be notarized.
- Bill of Sale: A bill of sale must show the buyer's name(s), purchase price, purchase date, vehicle identification number (VIN), year and make of the vehicle. The bill of sale information must match the information provided on the title. The seller(s) and buyer(s) must sign this form. Bill of Sale forms are available in our office or may be downloaded (PDF). Sales and use tax will be computed and collected based on the purchase price of the vehicle. For more information on taxes, access the sales tax document (PDF)
- Odometer Disclosure: A completed odometer disclosure is required when the vehicle is less than 10 years old. The disclosure must be signed by both the seller and the buyer. Most titles have a section on the back for odometer disclosure when purchasing from an individual.
- Proof of Insurance: Colorado law requires that prior to registration or renewal, proof of insurance is required. The buyer needs to bring in proof of insurance. For additional information go to the insurance requirements resource
- VIN Verification: A VIN inspection is required on all out-of-state titles. This can be obtained at an emissions station or law enforcement agency.