Titling & Registering a Vehicle from Out-of State

All out-of-state surrendered documents require a VIN inspection report from Colorado law enforcement.

To register and/or title a vehicle from another state, the following documents are required:

  • Out-of-State Registration- If you surrender only an out-of-state registration, you will be issued a Colorado registration only. You will not be issued a Colorado title.
    • Current registration is acceptable
    • Expired registration is acceptable, if it is less than 6 months expired
    • A copy of the title is acceptable, if no transfer of ownership occurring
    • Some states issue a document that is the title and registration combined. This document is acceptable if it is submitted to our office before the expiration date
    • Your out-of-state title is still valid for transfer of ownership. If the out-of-state title becomes lost or destroyed, you will need to contact the state in which it was issued in order to replace the title
    • Out-of-State Title
    - You will be issued a Colorado title and registration if you surrender your out-of-state title. To receive a Colorado title, an out-of-state title must be surrendered.
    • We strongly recommend surrendering your out-of-state title when you register your car, if possible
    • Upon the surrender of your out-of-state, a Colorado title will be mailed to you in approximately 8 weeks
  • Vehicle Identification Number Inspection (VIN) REQUIRED ON ALL OUT OF STATE TRANSACTIONS!
    • VIN inspections can be done by a Colorado licensed dealer, a Colorado licensed emission station or a Colorado law enforcement officer. 
  • Proof of insurance
    • Proof of insurance is required to register your vehicle in Colorado
    • An out-of-state policy is acceptable
    • For additional information go to the insurance resource
  • Colorado Residency Establishment
    • Completed Colorado Residency Establishment form DR2504 (PDF)
    • New Colorado Resident Vehicle registration HB22-1254 Effective Jan. 1, 2023: Colorado Residency Establishment Form AND provide one of the following for proof of residency: Colorado Driver's License or Identification Card, property tax receipt, utility bill (including the service start date), Lease agreement or mortgage statement, Voter Registration Card, college enrollment documents or student document, government or court order document.
  • If you purchased a vehicle Out-of-State and have never titled it in your name please see Buying a Vehicle, additional documents may be required.