Open Space Permits

Gold Butte, Whitewater Rafting, Owl Creek Chase


Event organizers must submit an Event Safety Plan before an event permit will be issued. Find out more and submit a plan HERE. Applicants seeking a fishing/outfitting or guiding-type permit should use the same link to submit an Outfitter/Guide Business Safety Plan. A copy of the Event Safety Plan must be provided by applicant to Open Space and Trails in order to obtain a permit from Open Space and Trails.


ALL applications filed within 14 days of a proposed event or special use will be assessed a $300 fee upon issuance of a permit. Please submit applications more than 2 weeks before the date of the proposed use.

Special Event and Commercial Permit Applications

A permit is required for special events and commercial uses that take place on Open Space and Trails properties, including filming and photo shoots (this includes product promotion through images taken on Pitkin County open spaces and trails), commercial boating/paddling and fishing operations. There is a $150 fee to process a permit application. Nonprofit organizations are exempt from the fee, but an event permit is still required. Nonprofits that charge a fee for guiding/instructing are defined as commercial users under Title 12 of the Pitkin County Land Use Code. Use restrictions that apply to commercial users will apply to nonprofits under this Title 12 provision, as well.

Commercial operators (shuttle services/guides) wishing to operate at North Star Nature Preserve in 2021 must complete the Open Space and Trails permit process by March 1, 2021. Operators must also obtain Forest Service authorization to use the Wildwood launch site in order to operate at North Star. The application deadline to the Forest Service is March 15, 2021; applicants must secure Open Space and Trails permit first.

See below for permit/fee information specifically for Redstone Park and Elk Park.

Please note, organizers of special events and commercial activities on Open Space and Trails properties must provide a certificate of liability insurance naming Pitkin County as additionally insured. The required limits are $1,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 general aggregate.

The management plans for some open space properties restrict or prohibit events and commercial uses. In addition, Title 12 regulates permitted uses on open space.

To Submit a Permit Application
Use this online form to submit an application for a commercial or event permit.

Application questions can be directed to Janet Urquhart at 970-920-5223 or Pryce Hadley at 970-920-5399

Senior Parking Pass - Hunter Creek Valley

A senior parking pass for the Hunter Creek Valley lot is available from Pitkin County Senior Services, 0275 Castle Creek Road. Office hours are Monday-Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Seniors must present a driver's license to obtain a pass.

Redstone Park and Elk Park

Special regulations apply to the use of Redstone Park and Elk Park for events.The Special Use Permit Application must be submitted for use of these parks.

Gold Butte

The Gold Butte Management Plan outlines the regulations for commercial and special use of this climbing area.