Properties & Trails
A number of paved and unpaved trails maintained by Pitkin County Open Space and Trails are subject to seasonal closures and other restrictions. Dogs must be leashed unless a trail is specifically exempted. There are areas throughout the county that pet owners may find suitable for walking a dog off leash. See e-bike regulations below.
PAY TICKETS ONLINE
We accept Visa, MasterCard, Amex and Discover Card payments online. [ The processing fee is: Transaction Amount +((Transaction Amount +$0.75)x 2.25%) + $0.75 ]. Find TICKET PAYMENT INFORMATION HERE. Pay your citation online here.
Sign up here for email or text alerts about trail openings and closures, and events that may affect your decision about where to hike or ride.
PITKIN TRAILFINDER / ECOFINDER
Pitkin Outside features a mapping website (TrailFinder) and EcoFinder, a compilation of ecological studies and data, plus a monthly blog. TrailFinder maps all trails in Pitkin County. Click on a particular trail for mileage and elevation information, plus regulations. Toggle between winter and summer in the upper right of the website (summer displays more trails, winter displays nordic trails).
OPEN SPACE REGULATIONS
Pitkin County Open Space and Trails properties are governed by Title 12 of the Pitkin County Code, which establishes general rules that apply to all of the open spaces and trails within the program. (Descargar Reglamento de Parques en Español.) In addition to Title 12, use of some open space properties is governed by an adopted management plan that is specific to a particular property.
SENIOR CITIZEN PASSES - HUNTER CREEK
The parking pass for senior citizens who wish to use the Hunter Creek parking lot is available from Pitkin County Senior Services, 0275 Castle Creek Road. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Seniors must be at least 65 years old and present a driver’s license to obtain a pass.
Pitkin County allows Class 1, pedal-assist e-bikes on paved trails plus the gravel East of Aspen Trail and the gravel section of the Rio Grande Trail. E-bike use, and other motorized uses, are not permitted on any single-track trail on Pitkin County’s open spaces. A Class 1 bike must be pedaled in order to operate and has a maximum speed of 20 mph.
ASPEN-SNOWMASS NORDIC TRAILS
The Aspen-Snowmass Nordic System is open to cross-country skiing (skate and classic) and snowshoeing (snowshoers, please keep to the far edge of the groomed trails). Walking is NOT permitted except on the Rio Grande Trail, at Marolt Open Space and on the dog loops at the golf courses at Aspen and Snowmass Village. Fat biking is also prohibited on the Nordic system except at Marolt Open Space and on the Rio Grande Trail. Check out the map of fat bike options. Find out more about the Nordic system, and a grooming report, at aspennordic.com. A daily grooming report is also provided on the Nordic Hotline at 970-429-2039 (ext. 4).
The following properties are governed by adopted management plans. A summary provides key regulations associated with each property. See the links below for more information about these properties.
- Carbondale to Crested Butte Trail Plan
- Deer Creek Open Space
- Emma Open Space
- Filoha Meadows
- Glassier Open Space
- Gold Butte
- Grace - Shehi Meadows
- Jaffee Park
- Lazy Glen Open Space
- Moore Open Space
- North Star Nature Preserve
- Penny Hot Springs
- Prince Creek Open Space
- Rio Grande Trail
- Red Wind Point
- Redstone Parks & Open Space
- Roaring Fork Gorge
- Sky Mountain Park
- Smuggler Mountain Open Space
- Thompson Creek Open Space
- Wheatley Open Space
- Aspen-Snowmass Nordic System (grooming reports and trail maps)
- Rio Grande Trail Map (a map of the trail between Aspen and Glenwood Springs)
- Pitkin County Nordic Trails Plan (a plan detailing the existing system and opportunities for expansion)
- Policy: Protection of Natural Biodiversity and Management of Human Use (a policy to guide the acquisition and management of Open Space and Trails properties)
- Open Space and Trails Property Inventory (A listing of open space properties and conservation easements)
- Agricultural Lease Bid Process (Criteria and process for leasing Pitkin County agricultural land)
- Annual Trail Use 2011-2016 (a chart depicting OST trail counter totals)
- Aspen Fat Bike Trails (a map of winter trails open to fat bikes) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>