Pitkin County is a Home Rule county and the Pitkin County Treasurer / Public Trustee is an appointed position and serves at the pleasure of the Pitkin County Board of County Commissioners.
The Pitkin County Treasurer/Public Trustee’s Office
- Inform the public about property taxation
- Collect and distribute property taxes to support Pitkin County and other public service entities
- Receive and deposit all other county revenue
- Responsibly invest county money
- Provide a mechanism for property owners to secure mortgage loans by holding property in trust
The Treasurer also collaborates with Pitkin County staff and community members to develop the financial resources needed to achieve the Board of County Commissioners’ and community's vision.
Public Trustee’s Office
The Public Trustee’s Office is unique among the 50 states. Deeds of Trust that secure indebtedness on real estate shall name the Public Trustee as trustee. The Public Trustee acts as an intermediary between the borrower and the lender.